This is an archived copy of the 2016-2017 catalog. To access the most recent version of the catalog, please visit

Admission Procedure

To apply online for graduate admission, visit our website at . Students are required to pay the admission fee by credit card or electronic check as part of the process.  Applicants must send one transcript from each college or university attended, except YSU, to the College of Graduate Studies. Official transcripts must be sent directly from the institution to the College of Graduate Studies. Personal or unofficial transcripts issued to the student or those delivered or sent by the applicant instead of the institution will not be accepted.

Applications for admission cannot be reviewed until official transcripts of all previous college or university work are received. The applicant must see that the transcripts reach the College of Graduate Studies at the earliest possible date. The applicant should provide all the information requested in the first submission of materials. Omission of information on the ap­plication form will necessitate requests for additional information and therefore delay processing of the application. International applicants should also see the International Student Admission section for additional requirements. As soon as possible after receipt of all application materials, the student will be notified of the action taken on the application. Registration information will be provided once the student has been admitted to the College of Graduate Studies.

Test Information

In certain master’s programs, test results must be submitted as part of the admission proce­dure. The Graduate Record Examination is available at Sylvan Learning Center locations. The Graduate Management Admission Test is available at Pearson VUE test centers; see for more information. Arrangements for taking the Miller Analogies Test on campus may be made directly with the Testing Office in 109 Meshel Hall, (330) 941-3175. Test scores are valid for five years.

Admission Requirements

Minimum requirements for admission to the College of Graduate Studies are the following:

  • A bachelor’s degree from a college or university certified by a regional accrediting agency (e.g., North Central Association of Colleges and Schools) approved by the U.S. Department of Education
  • A cumulative grade point average in undergraduate work of at least 2.7 (on a 4.0 scale)
  • Satisfactory preparation for the graduate program in which the student wishes to enroll as specified by the department of the major
  • A test of written/spoken English, which the University reserves the right to request, of any entering graduate student whose primary language is not English
  • Students having a cumulative undergraduate GPA below 2.7 must present a satisfac­tory score on the general test of the Graduate Record Exam, the Miller Analogies Test, or graduate-level subject specific exam as specified by the department of the major
  • Nine semester hours of graduate work at a 3.0 GPA from an accredited institution may be substituted for the GRE requirement for provisional admission status.

The applicant is reminded to check specific admission requirements of the program in which he or she wishes to enroll to determine if there are any additional requirements.

Types of Admission


Regular admission will be granted to students who satisfy the admission require­ments for the master’s program in which they wish to enroll. Other categories are available as noted.


Upon recommendation of the program director or chair, and the college dean, and subject to the approval of the dean of Graduate Studies, a student may be accepted with provi­sional admission if his or her undergraduate record shows slight deficiencies compared to the admission requirements of the program to which the student seeks entrance. Students who are admitted with provisional status because of undergraduate course deficiencies will be required to make up the deficiencies by taking the appropriate undergraduate courses. Students admitted in provisional status may have no more than 9 s.h. of undergraduate course deficiencies. Students who are admitted with provisional status because of low test score(s) or low cumulative un­dergraduate grade point averages will be reviewed by the program director and/or chair when nine semester hours of degree-credit coursework are completed. The program director and/or chair will change the student’s status from provisional to regular if the deficiencies have been met and/or the student’s record justifies such a change. The advisor will report the change to the dean of Graduate Studies on the Action on Provisional Status form.


Non-degree status provides an opportunity for individuals who hold a baccalaure­ate or higher degree to enroll in graduate classes for professional or personal development, per­sonal enrichment, or to explore the possibility of entering a graduate degree program without completion of the regular graduate admission process. Departments may require prior approval for non-degree student registration in departmental courses.

Non-degree applicants must meet all requirements for admission to the College of Graduate Studies (minimum cumulative GPA of 2.7 at the undergraduate level, baccalaureate degree, and submission of all academic transcripts). Status as a non-degree student is not an admission to a College of Graduate Studies degree or certificate program. Non-degree students not seeking a graduate certificate must complete a non-degree application for graduate studies that indicates their academic area of choice. Non-degree students are required to pay the regular application fee. If non-degree students subsequently decide to seek admission to a graduate program, no further application fees will be assessed, but all required credentials must be submitted.

Non-degree students are ineligible for many types of financial aid (including assistantships awarded by the College of Graduate Studies). Non-degree students may seek advisement from the chairperson or program director in the academic area in which they have been permitted to take courses.

Students may only complete nine semester hours as non-degree seeking students. A maximum of nine semester hours taken as a non-degree student may be applied toward a degree program if accepted by the department in which the student wishes to earn a degree and if the department’s recommendation is approved by the dean of Graduate Studies. This transfer limit may not be appealed. Any additional coursework beyond nine semester hours in non-degree status will not carry credit toward a graduate degree.  However, all graduate courses taken as part of a graduate cer­tificate may be counted toward a degree program, if the student is subsequently accepted into the program and the certificate courses are applicable.

Students enrolled in certificate programs may not deviate from the courses required for the certificate. If they do, the additional courses will not carry credit toward a graduate degree. Non-degree students who are enrolled in or who complete certificate programs and subsequently decide to enroll in a graduate degree program must meet all admission criteria for the program in which admission is sought.

NOTE: Students who need to take more than nine semester hours in non-degree status (for licensure, certification, or to earn a graduate certificate, etc.), may reapply to the College of Graduate Studies for up to an additional nine semester hours in non-degree status.


Transient admission may be granted to a degree-seeking student who attends any accredited graduate school and who submits a Graduate Transient Student form, signed by the dean of the student’s home graduate school, showing that he or she is a graduate student in good standing. The form to be used in such cases may be downloaded from the YSU College of Graduate Studies website . Under some circumstances, transient admission may be renewed for a second semester, but the graduate deans of both universities must approve the renewal. If a transient student later wishes to become a regular graduate student, he or she must be admitted to a degree program by following the usual admission procedures. An admitted transient student must meet all prerequisite requirements for any course taken at Youngstown State University.

International Student Admission

International applicants must complete an application for admission and provide all materials required at least four months prior to the semester they wish to be considered for admission. In addition to the regular admission requirements, the following must also be submitted:

  • A minimum score of 550 on the paper-based, 213 on the computer-based, or 79-80 on the internet-based (iBT) Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) administered by the Educational Testing Service (ETS) by graduates of foreign universities who are nonnative English speakers. (Scores over two years old by the beginning of the term applicants wish to enter are not acceptable.) The College of Graduate Studies will accept the academic version of the IELTS (International English Language Testing System) as an al­ternative to the TOEFL exam for international students. (A score of 6.5 on the IELTS test equates to a 550 on the TOEFL.) Proficiency may also be demonstrated by a letter of certification from the Youngstown State University English Language Institute stating that the applicant has completed the program of study and is proficient in English at a level appropriate to pursue a graduate degree and present an English language thesis if one is necessary as a degree requirement. Prior to full admission to graduate study, students may be tested and placed in special English classes, if necessary, to ensure an adequate level of English proficiency.
    (Note: Evidence of proficiency is waived for applicants educated in English-speaking coun­tries as defined in the YSU Undergraduate Catalog or for applicants holding U.S. Legal Permanent Residence for one year or for applicants who have successfully completed 24 semester hours of college-level coursework from an accredited English-medium college in the United States or another country where English is the official language).
  • For F-1 or J-1 Visa certification: evidence of financial support and sponsorship during the period of study at YSU, including documents of verification.

NON U.S. Transcripts

  • Any applicant (including U.S. citizens) who attended a non-U.S. educational institution for 24 semester hours or less must provide a sealed certified/attested official transcript to the College of Graduate Studies.1
  • Any applicant (including U.S. citizens) who attended non-U.S. educational institutions for more than 24 semester hours or who earned a Bachelor’s degree (or its equivalent) or Master’s degree (or its equivalent) from a non-U.S. institution or where English was not the language of instruction is required to submit to YSU an evaluation of the following documents by a National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) approved evaluation agency:
    • an official course-by-course evaluation of each certified/attested non-U.S. transcript with
      • grade point average (GPA) equated to a 4.0 scale
      • all mark sheets and
      • proof of degree
    • an official English translation of the transcript if the transcript is not in English
  • International students attending a non-U.S. institution who apply for admission to the College of Graduate Studies prior to the completion of all bachelor’s degree coursework and the  awarding of the bachelor’s degree will also need to request an evaluation of the final transcript as soon as all grades are posted. Proof of degree is required for admission to the College of Graduate Studies.
  •  The official transcript evaluation with a copy of the certified/attested transcript must be sent directly from a National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) approved agency to:

Youngstown State University
College of Graduate Studies
1 University Plaza
Youngstown, OH  44555

Preferred evaluation agencies are:

YSU will accept an evaluation from another NACES approved evaluator if that evaluator requires a certified/attested official transcript from the institution attended for the evaluation. For a list of NACES members, please visit .

Youngstown State University has no affiliation with the preferred evaluators. However, these evaluators are known to provide fast and accurate services to applicants.

YSU enrolls students in accordance with the policy of the United States Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services.


 If a study abroad student provides an official transcript from a regionally accredited U.S. school of record that documents the study abroad courses, no additional transcript is required.