Division of Multicultural Affairs
The Division of Multicultural Affairs reports to the President and is charged with the day-to-day implementation of diversity, inclusion, and multicultural affairs.
The major responsibilities of Multicultural Affairs are to educate the University and the community regarding diversity, multicultural affairs, and related issues as well as supporting and encouraging diversity initiatives. The division also conducts educational outreach programs and training in the areas of diversity and multicultural affairs.
We believe that a vibrant and diverse institutional climate is essential to providing effective delivery of services and instruction to diverse groups and in preparing them for a diverse and global society. YSU embraces a broad definition of diversity that is comprised of, but is not limited to, differences in cultural, social, economic, racial and ethnic origin, gender, religion, rural and urban communities, geographic origins, academic backgrounds, age, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, ability or disability, physical appearance, personality, learning style, personal experiences, multilingual abilities, and veteran status. This diversity creates a richness that enhances the campus climate.
Chief Diversity Officer
The Chief Diversity Officer works in partnership with the President and senior leadership in advancing diversity and multicultural competence that will foster inclusion and cultivate diverse multicultural interactions among administrators, faculty, staff, students, and the region.
Mission of Division of Multicultural Affairs
- Create a Culture of Community.
- Cultivate an environment that is inclusive.
- Educate the university community on the importance of diversity in our teaching and learning, curriculum, assessment, climate, environment, advising and student success, and campus-community connection.
- Collaborate with University departments and community businesses, organizations, agencies, etc. as a resource in developing diversity programs and activities that promote a better understanding of the diverse nature of the region.
- Administrates the daily operations of the Multicultural Center.
The Multicultural Center accommodates the staff of the combined offices: Division of Multicultural Affairs (DMA) and the International Programs Office (IPO), the International and Community Liaison, and Interfaith Meditation Rooms. The Multicultural Center speaks to the university's commitment to value and serve all people through inclusive practices within the campus community and beyond.
Mission of the Multicultural Center
- Provide an inclusive environment for all (students, staff/faculty and administrators and visitors).
- Encourage and facilitate meaningful interaction through conversation, meetings, projects, coffee hour, etc.
- Increase cultural awareness between diverse American and International students, faculty, and staff.
For more information, visit Division of Multicultural Affairs.