The areas of coursework in the MSN program include core courses, and one of the following options:
- Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner
The breakdown of these course requirements is as follows:
Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner
|NURS 6900||Professional Issues in Nursing||3|
|NURS 6901||Nursing Science and Research 1||3|
|NURS 6902||Advanced Pathophysiology||3|
|NURS 6903||Advanced Pharmacology||3|
|NURS 6904||Advanced Health Assessment||3|
|NURS 6907||Health Assessment of School Children||3|
|NURS 6908||Health Assessment of School Children Practicum||2|
|NURS 7003||Role Development||3|
|NURS 7005||Capstone Practicum||3|
|Adult Gero Acute Care Option Courses|
|NURS 7037||Adult-Gero Acute Care 1||3|
|NURS 7038||Adult-Gero Acute Care 1 Practicum||2|
|NURS 7039||Adult-Gero Acute Care 2||3|
|NURS 7040||Adult-Gero Acute Care 2 Practicum||3|
|NURS 7041||Adult-Gero Acute Care 3||3|
|NURS 7042||Adult-Gero Acute Care 3 Practicum||3|
|Total Semester Hours||43|
MSN Student Learning Outcomes
All graduates of the program are prepared to:
- Synthesize theory and research from nursing and related disciplines for advanced nursing roles.
- Utilize leadership strategies to influence health and health care and to promote the nursing profession in the advanced nursing role.
- Expand the knowledge of evidence-based practice by identifying nursing research problems and contributing to research investigations.
- Integrate assessment of own learning in developing a lifelong pattern of scholarly inquiry.
Upon successful completion of the MSN program, graduates are eligible to sit for national certification examinations. Once certified, graduates must apply for a Certificate of Authority to practice as an Advanced Practice Nurse in the State of Ohio or in the state in which they intend to practice.
All AG-ACNP nursing applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Hold a Bachelor’s of Science in Nursing (BSN) degree from an accredited program
- Regular admission requires a cumulative undergraduate grade point average of at least 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) and verification of work experience.
- For AG-ACNP: A minimum of 1 year of critical care experience is required (this can include emergency room, ICU or intermediate acute care experience)prior to registering for the first specialty course (AG-ACNP NURS 7037, 7039, 7041). *
If GPA is 2.7 – 2.99 (on a 4.0 scale)
- For AG-ACNP: A minimum of 2 years of critical care experience is required (this can include emergency room, ICU or intermediate acute care experience) prior to registering for the first specialty course (AG-ACNP NURS 7037, 7039, 7041). *
Degree-seeking students having an undergraduate GPA below 2.7 are required to meet the 2,000 clinical hours or 2 years’ experience as written above AND must present a satisfactory score on the general test of the Graduate Record Exam or the Miller Analogies Test.
- Official transcripts of all undergraduate academic work from each college or institution of higher learning attended (other than Youngstown State University (YSU)
- Verification of a current, unencumbered RN license and expiration date in the state in which the student is licensed and practices, and will be completing practicum hours.
*Please use Supplemental Employment Verification form to verify clinical hours and experience.
- For AG-ACNP Only: Current ACLS certification required prior to the start of practicums
- Current BLS certification, immunizations, drug screen and criminal background checks are maintained while in the program annually