This is an archived copy of the 2021-2022 catalog. To access the most recent version of the catalog, please visit

The Student Academic Grievance Procedure provides students with a formal channel through which complaints concerning academic matters may be heard. A student must attempt to resolve the complaint by first discussing the issue with the faculty member.  If the complaint is not resolved at that level, the student should direct their complaint to the Department Chair and, if the complaint is still not resolved, to the Dean of their college.

Complaints not resolved following a discussion with the Dean will be considered by the Associate Provost for Academic Administration or designee, who will serve as Judicial Administrator. Upon their review, the Judicial Administrator determines whether the complaint is grievable. If the complaint is grievable, it is presented to the Student Academic Grievance Subcommittee. Per the YSU-OEA Agreement, Article 19.2, academic matters that may be grieved are the following:

  • Material deviation from the instructor’s policy on sanctions for academic dishonesty, as indicated on the course syllabus, to the detriment of the individual student, or in disputed cases of academic dishonesty.
  • Material breach of faculty contractual obligations as specified in the article on Teaching Rights and Responsibilities (YSU-OEA Agreement, Article 27), to the detriment of the individual student or the entire class.
  • Material deviation from the grading scale, grading criteria, assignment specifications, or grade weight distribution indicated on the course syllabus or other course materials, to the detriment of the individual student or the entire class.

Other areas of contention between a student and a faculty member may not be grieved under this section. The student should contact the Department Chair of the faculty member's department or the Dean of the college housing the faculty member's department for further advisement in these situations.

Students wishing to file a grievance should contact the administrative assistant in the Office of Academic Affairs for an appropriate referral. A Brief Guide to Student Academic Grievances is available for further information about this process.

A digital copy of the Student Academic Grievance Form is available for download or you can use the electronic submission form. An electronic copy of the Student Academic Grievance Procedure is also available for review.

Contact for Questions/Concerns

Office: Office of Community Standards and Student Conduct
Location: Kilcawley Center