The Academic Division is organized in the following units:
- Beeghly College of Education
- Bitonte College of Health and Human Services
- Cliffe College of Creative Arts and Communication
- College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences
- College of Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics
- Williamson College of Business Administration
- College of Graduate Studies
- Honors College
Each academic college, along with its major programs and curriculum, is described in its section of this catalog.
YSU also offers the YSU-BaccMed program leading to medical studies at Northeast Ohio Medical University (NEOMED) for up to 35 selected students with an emphasis on primary care.
The post-baccalaureate programs of the College of Graduate Studies are set forth in the Graduate Catalog.
Virtually all departments offer courses during daytime and evening hours, and several majors may be obtained by students who are able to attend only during the evening. Several degree programs are also available online. To accommodate working students, classes are offered on a flexible schedule – from classes that meet five days a week to classes that meet only one day a week. The main academic year runs from late August into May in two 16-week semesters. During the summer term, courses are offered both for a 12-week session, three sessions of six weeks each, and two sessions of eight weeks each. Courses are also offered in shorter time frames.