This policy is provided to minimize disruptions or inconveniences for students fulfilling their U.S. military responsibilities in the midst of an academic semester. Every effort should be made to plan accordingly for known military assignments. However, Youngstown State University realizes students who are members of the U.S. Armed Forces may be unexpectedly called to active duty, specialized training, or as
part of disaster relief efforts with little notice.
Unanticipated duty may include the following circumstances:
- Active Duty change of duty assignments
- Overseas or stateside military deployments
- State Emergency “call-ups”
- Initial Active Duty Training (Basic Training and Job Skill Training)
- Short-Term Training Assignments (Annual Training Periods, Military Schools, etc.)
Any student called to duty as listed above may withdraw from all courses and receive a 100% refund of tuition and fees. Alternatively, with the permission of the instructor(s), a student may receive an incomplete or a final grade in some or all of the courses taken. Any of the options may be taken any time during the semester through the last day of classes.
All withdrawal for military duty is coordinated by the Office of Veteran Affairs. In general, students should follow the steps listed below to complete a withdrawal request.
- Students who wish to withdraw from any or all courses as a result of being called to active duty must provide a copy of their orders to the Office of Veterans Affairs along with a signed note asking to be withdrawn. The request to withdraw needs to be submitted within one week of official notification by the military service and may be made by either the student or other responsible party who has the student's military information.
- Students should note that they will maintain their access to university accounts such as the Penguin Portal and email during their absence.
- Students receiving financial aid will be subject to the refund policies as provided for by the agencies sponsoring the aid. Students may want to contact the appropriate agency for more information.
ELIGIBILITY FOR FUTURE ENROLLMENT
Students who use this withdrawal process for a semester, will be eligible for future semester registrations. Students who cannot enroll for a future term due to military commitments can also be placed on a military leave of absence that will extend access to their university computer and email accounts while they are gone. A copy of orders provided to the campus Veterans Affairs Office will initiate this action.
CONTACT FOR QUESTIONS/CONCERNS
Office: Office of Veteran Affairs
Location: Carl A. Nunziato Veterans Resource Center