A student transferring to a new major before earning 60 credits has the option of requesting an AcademicReassessment. The student may request the deletion of up to 16 credits earned for courses required in theold major; these credits will be deducted from the total earned credits and will result in a recalculated cumulative GPA. No credits earned for a grade of “C” or higher may be deleted. These credits may only include courses required for the old major and for general education courses if also designated by the old major, but may not include courses only taken to fulfill general education requirements, requirements from the new major, or graduation requirements. The student must initiate the request through their Academic Advisor, and the request must be approved by the Department Chairperson of the new major.
The following provisions of Academic Reassessment Option shall apply:
· The Academic Reassessment option may only be used one time.
· To be eligible for the academic reassessment option, the student must be changing their major and have
earned less than 60 overall credit hours. Students changing their major to or from EXPL or undecided are
· All GPA recalculations completed as a result of the Academic Reassessment Option are final and cannot
· The student’s transcript reflects all courses taken, even if not computed in the GPA.
· The student, in consultation with his/her academic advisor, shall identify the courses to be included in
the reassessment. The student may request up to 16 credits be included in the reassessment.
· Only undergraduate courses taken prior to the change of major at YSU are eligible to be included in the
· Courses included in the reassessment may include courses required for the old major as well as from the
general education core only if also designated by the old major, but may not include courses only taken to
fulfill general education requirements, requirements from the new major, or graduation requirements.
· Only courses in which the student earned a “D“ or “F” may be included in the reassessment.
· Grades earned for the courses included in the reassessment are excluded from the calculation of the
cumulative GPA, but will remain on the student’s official transcript.
Credits earned for courses included in the reassessment are deducted from the total credits earned.
· The recalculated GPA is effective at the beginning of the term for which the major change becomes
· Any academic probations, suspensions or dismissals earned prior to the reassessment shall not be