Department of Nursing
Dr. Valerie O’Dell, Certificate Director
3132 Cushwa Hall
The five-course nurse education certificate is designed to prepare the post-masters prepared nurse with opportunities to further their education and develop and refine new skills that will enhance their professional development as nurse educators.
The certificate nurse educator program is not a degree program. This program is designed to enhance the professional development of registered nurses by providing education and training that prepares them for nurse educator roles and teaching positions in academic and service settings. At the completion of this certificate program, the student would be eligible to sit for the National League for Nursing Certified Nurse Educator examination.
- MSN degree in Nursing from an accredited college/university
- Official transcript from each college or university attended (except YSU)
- Overall grade point average of 3.0 in graduate work
- Current Ohio Registered Nurse licensure or eligibility for Ohio licensure as a registered nurse
- Current CPR certification and current immunization
- Personal statement describing career goals
- Three letters of reference: one each from a faculty member, an employer, and a colleague
- Computer competency that includes word processing skills and the ability to communicate electronically
- Letter of intent (300 words) maximum stating one’s professional career goals and how graduate education in nursing will help fulfill said goals
The Nurse Education Certificate Program consists of 15 semester hours. The curriculum is designed to prepare students to implement the nurse educator role in a variety of settings. Students will develop competencies in program and curriculum design, implementation, instructional methods, and evaluation methods for diverse populations in a variety of settings.
Students are provided an opportunity to synthesize learning and function in the roles of a nurse educator by completing a required capstone practicum of 3-5 semester hours.
|NURS 7018||Nursing Curriculum Design||3|
|NURS 7019||Nursing Instructional Methods||3|
|NURS 7020||Evaluation in Nursing Education||3|
|NURS 7021||Nurse Educator Role||4|
|NURS 7022||Nurse Educator Role Practicum||2|
|Total Semester Hours||15|